13 June 2015

Foxgloves.

The weather has been awful the last couple of days and although we haven't had the storms that were forecast, it has rained and rained and rained some more. I had been hoping to get out into the garden to do some weeding after my trip to Sheffield but I had to content myself with looking on the internet for garden ideas. I love cottage gardens, I love the overblown loveliness of borders that are heaving with deliciously smelling roses, lavender, sweet peas, aquilegia, and basically, anything that my Granddad used to have in his garden. It takes me back to my childhood in an instant. There is one cottage garden flower, though, that I just can't stand. I don't even know why. Whenever I see them growing in my field I pull them up and chuck them in the compost bin. My friend Bridget says this is sacrilegious, especially for someone who professes to be desperate for a cottage garden. She thinks I should be digging them up and planting them in my garden but I just can't bring myself to do it because I absolutely can't stand them ....... Foxgloves. I don't even like the new varieties that are different colours. 



However, I realise that there are people out there who actually do like them so I have seriously been thinking about digging them up, popping them into plant pots and taking them to the car boot sale and selling them for 50p. I have hundreds in my field. It won't cost me anything but a bit of soil and I might just make a bit of money. 

I might even bite the bullet and plant a few in my garden.

Then  again, maybe not. 

3 comments:

  1. They self seed in my garden too but i do like them although i dont like them dotted about i have been known to dig them up and transplant them in to another area of my garden all together and that is what i hopefully will be doing next week , I like the idea of selling them though , Thats a good idea xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love 'em - and so do the bees. I was surprised to see several kinds of wildflowers for sale in a large nursery, including some that I would definitely class as weeds, so I'm sure you'd be able to sell your Foxgloves. And . . . we are forecast a few days of sunshine, so you can get going in your garden!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love them! Go for it and sell them potted up, the bees will love you for it. I wish we had some in our little patch :-)

    ReplyDelete