5 April 2015

A Bit of a Catch-Up

Hi there everyone, how's it going? It's been a while since I posted anything because not only do I have an arthritic knee to contend with but I now also have a badly damaged hamstring to further complicate things! It's been a nightmare few weeks because everything seems to take so much longer when you're limping. It also takes so much more energy to do the smallest of tasks, not to mention being near impossible to carry a bale of hay while using crutches! Still, I'm hoping that a bit of rest and some pain killers will do the trick and it won't be too long before I'm back to my usual self, rushing about the place trying to get everything done. 

I have some photos to share with you of things I was doing before the accident ..... I tripped over a cat while I was hobbling at great speed down the corridor and hyper-extended my leg causing the hamstring injury. Painful!!

Some lovely liberty fabric arrived.


I took a picture of the eclipse.


I made my first attempt at freehand machine applique. Not bad for my first attempt I don't think. 


The letters were transferred using a marvellous product that you put through the printer to print out the lettering or design then peel off the paper backing and stick it to the fabric. You then simply sew over the letters through both pieces of fabric and when you're finished, you simply dunk the cloth into a bowl of water and the top layer of fabric just dissolves away ..... it's amazing!

Then some more fabric appeared and with it I made another tortoise




I am hoping to start a little Etsy shop to sell some of the things I make. At the moment I am just working out the kinks in the patterns of the things I'm planning to sell so lots of people have been given the prototypes. I'm sure they get sick of me sending them random things in the post but I like to make sure the process is easy and the pattern works for me even if I have to do several before I get it exactly right.

Then this cute picture arrived. It's the artwork for my new logo for my little venture "The Patchwork Hare". I'm busy working on labels and logos and business cards at the moment because I can do it sitting down and it doesn't hurt my leg. The artwork was done by a lovely lady at Flapdoodle Designs. There is a link HERE to her facebook page if you want to check out her other work.


I also managed a little bit of weeding and planting before I pulled my hamstring. I finally planted the everlasting sweet peas that had been abandoned on my patio table in a carrier bag last year and that, against all odds, had survived and thrived throughout the winter.  I planted them in a nice deep black bucket which although not pretty, was ideal for them and then I hid the bucket behind some giant, moss covered  logs from my log pile. I stuffed some compost between the logs to keep them in place and have since planted between the logs with some lemon thyme and a couple of rockery plants which seem to be doing well. Hopefully, by summer, the black bucket wont be visible at all.



And that's about it. Now, I am sitting on the sofa relaxing with a nice mug of tea, waiting for the pain killers to work before I hobble to the kitchen to put the gigantic leg of lamb I bought, into the oven ready for Sunday lunch. 

Happy Easter to Everyone out there in Blogland 
XxX

6 comments:

  1. What a sweet logo. Sorry about your hamstring. My husband fell chasing our cat and cracked a rib. Cats can be dangerous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cats can indeed be dangerous lol it's not the first time I have had a cat related accident and I'm sure it won't be the last but I couldn't imagine life without them :-)

      Delete
  2. Your plantings look really nice. You could put a couple of smallish pots on top of those flat topped logs which would help camouflage the black bucket and add some additional color too. Your garden bed looks wonderful====the soil looks so nice and black and fluffy. What will you be planting in it?

    Those pulled muscles can really slow you down I know. I pulled something in my lower back just before Thanksgiving and it was really painful and worrying because I had no idea exactly what I had done to accomplish it. So this spring (which i think has finally arrived here in the Midwest) I am trying to take things slowly and not race around trying to get everything done in one day as I usually do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some small pots on top of the flat logs sounds like a great idea, thank you for that suggestion and I have a little confession to make, the soil looks fluffy and black because I cheated and dumped the contents of some old, half used bags of compost onto the bed. I know it's kinda cheating but I just wanted the bed to look nice. It's going to have perrenial cottage garden plants in it in a riot of pinks, purples, whites and pale yellow. I haven't figured out which kind yet though :-)

      Delete
  3. I can totally sympathize with your problems. I thought one of the worst parts of pulling my hamstring was pulling up my pants in the bathroom. For the first few days I had to call my husband.

    I am down to using just my left hand while my right hand heels from surgery.

    Lovely photos and thank you for the sweet words on my latest post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry to hear you are in pain, Kay, hope you feel better soon. Your new fabric is lovely and the Hare artwork is gorgeous. Good luck with your new venture, do let us know when your Etsy shop is up and running, won't you x

    ReplyDelete