14 May 2014

New Camera and Gardening Weather

For the last few months I have been dithering with the idea of getting a new camera. The one I have at the moment is fine, it's a basic point and shoot Sony Cybershot camera and it's done sterling work over the last 10 years but lately, having been searching the internet for inspirational blogs and finding some really beautiful ones, I have come to the conclusion that it's time to upgrade. The trouble is, when money is tight and every penny is usually accounted for, it becomes difficult to spend money on something that might be deemed frivolous even if you actually have the money to spend. Therein lies my dilemma. I have a small amount of money to spend on a new camera, I know what I need from my new camera, in particular a much better zoom function, wifi upload capabilities, a decent macro setting and optional manual settings and there we go ...... we are talking hundreds of pounds. Anyway, to cut a long story short, I have narrowed it down to two cameras and I have tried every-which-way to decided between the two but it's proving almost impossible. One is cheaper by about £70 but the zoom isn't as good and it doesn't include a panorama function or wifi upload but as I said, it's cheaper and the other one, although £70 more expensive, usually sells for double the price but it's in the sale at the moment and that means that it brings the price within my budget. They both have a decent macro setting and when you put them into a camera comparison site they come out virtually even so all-in-all, not very helpful! Anyway, yesterday afternoon, after much deliberation, I finally decided on the one I want, (I won't mention the make or model because I don't want to be accused of blatant advertising) and it's arriving today :-) I can't wait. I will be out and about snapping away and zooming in on things to my hearts content and hopefully, I shall be posting some of the pictures in the next couple of days.

I shall also be in the garden as much as possible this week. The weather lately has been awful. In fact here in Cornwall it's been positively psychotic! One minute it's clear blue skies and a few fluffy white clouds and the next, torrential rain the like of which I have only ever seen in monsoon season in Singapore!! I have lost count of the number of times I have picked up my gardening gloves and put on my boots ready to go out and tackle the tussocks only to find that while my back was turned, the weather has reverted from the joys of spring to the depths of winter!  Every day, I checked the weather forecast and every day it forecast rain and after about 500 attempts to actually get outside and do something, I finally gave up and vowed not to venture near my gardening stuff again until the weather forecast improved. And today it did. Today, when I checked the Met Office weather report for my area it looked like this ......

Not perfect but definitely an improvement over the last few weeks so ..... I'm going to be off into the garden as soon as I have had another cup of tea. Well actually, I'm going to wait until about 9 ish because I am going to attack the tussocks with my petrol strimmer today and I don't want to annoy my neighbours by firing the beast up before they have had a chance to get out of bed . I finally give in! Nothing I have done so far has killed the little buggers. Not salt nor lemon juice nor vinegar so now, it's war and by 9.30am, hopefully, all the troublesome tussocks will be history!! 

1 comment:

  1. Good luck with your tussocks! The weather has been utterly dire here too. The rain has been so heavy. Looking forward to seeing what camera you got, I need to invest in a better one but it is hard deciding which one I agree.

    ReplyDelete