26 January 2013

Cowgirl Cookies

While looking on the internet before Christmas, for ideas to make as gifts, I came across a fabulous cookie mix in a jar called Cowgirl Cookies. As I had already ordered a box of Kilner jars, I thought making some of these would be a great idea. Sadly, I forgot to take a picture of the cookie ingredients in the jar before I gave it to my daughter but this is what they look like on the website. Mine were almost identical except I used white chocolate chips instead of milk  chocolate because Morrisons had run out of milk chocolate ones and the jars were tied with velvet ribbon. 

Picture courtesy of http://www.bakerella.com/mix-things-up

It's really easy to do although the first jar of ingredients I made got all mixed together because I didn't follow the layering order on the recipe. I used a wooden spoon to kind of press each set of  ingredients into the jar. Also, I missed out the pecans, firstly, because I didn't have any and secondly as my daughter isn't keen on them. The recipe didn't seem to suffer without them at all and cookies were delicious.

This is the order to layer your ingredients.

First: flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt
Second: oats
Third: m&ms
Fourth: chocolate chips
Fifth: brown sugar
Sixth: white sugar
Seventh: chopped pecans

You will have to really pack them firmly or they won't all fit.

Here's the recipe. You can also find it on the fabulous  Bakerella website here

Cowgirl Cookies

1 1/3 cup plain flour, spooned into measuring cup & leveled
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup cooking oats
3/4 cup m&ms
3/4 cup milk chocolate chips
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
1/2 cup white sugar
1/3 – 1/2 cup chopped pecans

Put the contents of the jar into a big bowl, then add 

1 slightly beaten egg
1/2 cup butter (melted slightly in the microwave)
1 teaspoon vanilla

Mix wet ingredients into dry ingredients using spoon to work it all together. You may even need to use your hands to get everything incorporated.

Roll into balls, place on a baking sheet and press slightly to flatten. Make sure they are well spaced because they do spread.

Bake for about 10 minutes in a preheated 350 degree F oven (Gas Mark 4 or 180 degrees C) .
I got 20 cookies out of the mixture but mine were quite large. 

They were absolutely lovely.


3 comments:

  1. They look lovely and what a really good idea. Thank you for passing this on x

    ReplyDelete
  2. These biscuits do sound yummy Kay and I love all the layers of ingredients......I wonder how they got their name?

    Claire :}

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh they look gorgeous! I did a similar thing for my brother a few years ago with Christmas Cookies. They were delicious. You don't have to wait for Christmas though, they are fab at any time! Karla xxx

    ReplyDelete