15 October 2012

Flapjack

I hardly ever cook sweet things, usually I prefer savoury dishes and snacks but at the moment, I'm on a bit of a baking mission and today I had the urge to make something sweet and sticky. It's been years since I baked flapjack and I found a lovely recipe today with a hint of ginger and lemon. I ran out of syrup so I used some of the fabulous maple syrup that my daughter brought back from her USA trek. The maple syrup went brilliantly with the ginger and they tasted absolutely gorgeous. 



Ingredients
175g/6oz butter
175g/6oz golden syrup
175g/6oz muscovado sugar
350g/12oz porridge oats
½ lemon, finely grated zest
pinch ground ginger

Method

Preheat the oven to 150C/300F/Gas 2 and line a 20cm/8in square baking tin with baking paper.

Melt the butter in a medium pan over a low heat. Dip a brush in the butter and brush the baking tin with a little bit of it. Add the golden syrup and sugar to the butter and heat gently. Once the sugar is dissolved and the butter is melted, remove the pan from the heat and stir in the porridge oats, lemon zest and ginger.

Pack the mixture into the baking tin and squash down. Bake in the oven for 40 minutes.

Once cooked, remove from the oven, leave to cool for 15 minutes, then turn out on to a chopping board and cut into squares.


5 comments:





  1. They look delicious.You are certainly into baking this week...good job dad hasn't seen these x


























    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm having a tiny problem I can't seem to be able to subscribe your feed, I'm using google reader by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Anonymous, I have tried to log in using a google account but it didn't work for me either so maybe it's google but I did manage to log in with yahoo .... I dont know if that helps.
    Kind Regards
    Kay

    ReplyDelete
  4. Made the mistake of letting dad see them..so looks as though i could be doing flapjacks any time soon

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do hope that these are on there way to me :) Om noms in the post please your loving daughter Meggle - P.S More blog please do i can procrastinate instead of reading about salmon and lemurs xxx

    ReplyDelete