1 January 2013

Happy New Year

Yesterday I made the mistake of going into Plymouth to have a look around the shops because I am in desperate need of new clothes. NEVER AGAIN!!! I hate shopping. I can't stand the pushing and shoving and the ignorant people who barge around with no thought for anyone but themselves and at sale times it's even worse. It didn't help that it was absolutely pouring with rain, blowing a gale and I had a bit of a headache which may, or may not, have been the result of a glass or three too many of delicious Prosecco the night before. I didn't manage to buy any of the things I needed and I came home cold and tired and thoroughly fed up. The last time I went to Plymouth was over a year ago. An amazing feat really, considering I only live about 16 miles away! This year I managed to do all my Christmas shopping online but I don't like buying clothes online. They never seem fit properly and it's a real pain to have to send them back, so at some point I am going to have to brave the shops again.

I did, however, buy some lovely books. This always seems to happen and is probably why I have hardly any clothes because when I go to buy clothes, I always seem to get distracted by books. I love books. I considered buying myself an eReader but I have always preferred the solid feel of books. I was playing with a kindle fire in a bookshop today and while they are lovely, I think I still prefer books. I mean lets face it ...... books never run out of battery :-)

This is book number one that I bought. The Camper Van Coast by Martin Dorey and Recipes by Sarah Randell. I have always wanted a camper van. I love the idea of packing it up and setting off with only a vague idea of where you're going and the freedom to stop wherever you like. Of course living in Cornwall I'm in the perfect place for one but they seem to be hideously expensive so for the moment, until I win the lottery, (which as I don't actually buy lottery tickets could take a while) this is likely to remain just a dream. I spent a blissful couple of hours reading through the book, looking at all the delicious recipes and dreaming of blue skies, golden sunshine, sandy beaches and outdoor living.



The second book I bought was Gifts From The Garden by Debora Robertson. It has 100 clever ideas for gifts to make from things you can grow in your garden. Brilliant! And it's not just foodie things, it has a fabulous recipe for a scented wax polish and another one for mint lip balm. I think this is a fabulous idea and I'm going to try and work my way through the book making things as I go.



The third book is Jams and Preserves by Igloo Books. Jams and Chutneys are things I have always wanted to have a go at making and never seem to get around to doing it so now, I don't have any excuses.


My resolution for this year is simple. I am going to do more. Get out and about more, get into my garden more, craft more and aim to achieve one "thing" each day. Even if it's something small like planting a few veg or weeding a flower border. I am going to finish each project I start and not leave it half-way through and I am going to make my house and garden productive this year...... and who knows, maybe earn a little money along the way.

And finally ...... I would just like to wish everyone out there in Blogland a Very Happy New Year

 :-)

4 comments:

  1. I like your resolution of 'doing more'. My resolution is sort of linked to yours. I'm giving up sugar because 1) I'm overweight and 2) I feel so tired all the time. So when I've lost some weight and when I have some more energy - then I'll be able and willing to do more!
    (I just found your blog today. I too, live in Cornwall - Camborne area.)
    Kay

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy New Year to you too ... Book shopping much more fun than loathes shopping! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you live 16 miles away, then you must live in South East Cornwall nearish to me xx love froogsxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I could have written your 3rd paragraph! Every word applies to me; I bought that very book and spent ages browsing the places and recipes; my dream has always been to own a campervan and enjoy the freedom of going where and when I desire. I also don't buy lottery tickets yet yearn to win a load of money to buy my campervan! I also live in East Cornwall and love your blog! Happy New Year to us all and may our collective dreams come true this year.

    ReplyDelete