31 October 2012

Pumpkins and Practicing My Patchwork

Wooohooooo It's Halloween and I know that some people say that it's an American thing but anything that includes sweets, chocolate and candles is ok with me.


Anyway, Halloween aside, today I have had a yearning for patchwork. I have been reading some lovely blogs with some truly beautiful patchwork pieces and I have always wanted to have a go at a really big patchwork project but have always found it a bit daunting. When my youngest daughter was a baby I did make a patchwork cot quilt which is still in one piece although a little worn around the edges but as it's almost 20 years old I guess that's only to be expected. So, this morning I grabbed some fabric squares from a pack I bought from my lovely local craft shop last year, that have been sitting in my fabric stash ever since, and I set too making some patchwork cushions with the idea that I should start small before I begin something massive.


I watched an online tutorial on making a disappearing nine patch quilt and I was amazed at how easy it was and how amazing it could look. The only problem was, having stitched my first lot of nine little squares together into a lovely big square, I didn't want to cut it up.  I'm not very good at using the rotary cutter, I don't seem to be able to get the hang of it at all and I'm afraid I'm going to ruin my lovely big square. Does anyone have any useful tips for rotary cutter technique that might help??

Anyway, this is how far I have got with my two cushions. Two fronts done, one with nine squares and one with 16, both of which are destined to be gifts and will embellished with beads, sequins and pearls before I turn them into cushions. 

1 comment: