19 October 2012

Fairy House

I have been admiring the beautiful Fairy Houses on the gorgeous Used-to-Bees  blog and I really wanted to have a go at making one. I ordered some felt from eBay (super-fast delivery, combined postage and loads of lovely colours) and when it arrived today I couldn't wait to get started having a go at making one. I followed the pattern link on the blog but my first one turned out rather squished and I had problems with putting the decorations on, so this is attempt number two. I have to say I love it. I filled it with stuffing and dried lavender, so it smells nice as well as being cute. 













I'm thinking now that I have enjoyed the hand embroidery so much that I might have a go at making a picture. Maybe with little houses with wonky doors and windows with shutters. Maybe some trees. I'm feeling very creative at the moment, it's nice to feel creative again, it's been a while. To start with, I was a bit rusty on embroidery stitches but I found this fabulous site to brush up on the basics. The main problem is, I got rid of most of my craft equipment several years ago so now I have to start again building up a new stash. For example, the original houses have very cute fluted roofs, and they're cut with some amazing scalloped fabric shears to give the fabulous scalloped edge which, sadly, I no longer have. I still think mine looks quite nice for a first attempt though. 

3 comments:

  1. Oh, yes, so excited to see this! Your house looks very sweet and I think the addition of lavender is genius! I think you've done an excellent job. Good luck with re-building your crafting equipment (what a slippery slope!)
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Alix I am loving getting back into all things crafty. Thanks for the inspiration :-) x

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are so cute..I love them.You now are doing a great variety of lovely things again.Its so good to be able to keep up to date with all these lovely things x

    ReplyDelete