2 April 2014

Magnificent Meringues

Today I'm at a bit of a loss. I've had to wait in for a parcel to be delivered and until it arrives, I can't go out and do anything so, in the meantime, I was wondering what I should do to pass the time. I decided that it should be a baking day and that I should try out the balloon whisk attachment on my new mixer to make meringues. I have actually never made meringues before so I was a bit dubious about how they would turn out, particularly as I have been having a bit of a baking meltdown lately and have finally given up the ghost on making the perfect Yorkshire puddings. After so many failures it's back to good old frozen ones .... it makes Sunday lunch so much less stressful and to be honest, that can't be a bad thing!







Anyway, here is the recipe I used, It's a Nigella recipe that I got from the internet. It was surprisingly simple to do, I don't know why but I had always thought that meringues were difficult to make.  

Meringues 

3 large egg whites
175 grams caster sugar
1 pinch of salt 

Method
Heat the oven to 140C (gas mark 1). Line two baking trays with greaseproof paper.
Place the egg whites and a pinch of salt in the bowl of an electric mixer with a whisk attachment. Whisk on a low speed for 1 minute, then increase the speed to medium and whisk for another 2-3 minutes, or until the egg whites form stiff peaks. If you lift the whisk attachment out of the bowl, the mixture should look fluffy and cling to them, while the peaks remain stiff and moist-looking. This will take longer if doing by hand or using a hand held mixer. Then, while continuing to whisk, gradually add the sugar a tablespoon at a time, until the mixture is stiff and glossy - this may take 5-10 minutes.
Using a large, metal spoon, place freeform shapes on to the prepared baking trays.
Bake for 30-40 minutes, or until the meringues are pale and dry. Turn off the oven and allow the meringues to cool in the oven with the door slightly ajar.


Well, as you can see from the picture above, it looks great but, when I tried to lift it off the greaseproof paper, it stuck. It stuck really badly and it was clear that a beautiful, elegant Pavlova was never going to happen so I had to revert to plan B. Eton Mess. Yummmmm is all I can say. Broken up meringue, whipped cream and strawberries ....... what's not to love. 




Now all I have to do is figure out what to do with the egg yolks ..... maybe for some lemon curd.

4 comments:

  1. All I can say is absolutely delicious whether as a pavlova or Eton mess it's still yummy x x x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm meringue & lemon curd there's an idea! I can make Yorkshire puddings but they never seem as crispy as the ones you buy frozen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow looks scrummy ! and I know just what you mean about the yorky puds ...even the birds don't eat mine when I throw them out on the lawn...! Gail x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks totally delicious to me!

    ReplyDelete