26 February 2012

Compost Bin

Well, I am very happy to say that, rather than using the writing of this blog as an excuse not to go into the garden and do things, as I feared I might, it's actually spurring me on to go ahead and get things done, not least so I have something to actually blog about. For the last few weeks, I have been meaning to build myself a new compost bin because the plastic thing I have had for years and years, which sort of slots together at the corners, falls apart at the slightest gust of wind, scattering the compost all over the garden. Last year, I added upright fence planks to my front garden fencing, sort of like picket fencing, to make it look a bit more presentable than the post and rail fencing I had put up previously to keep the horrible neighbours out and to keep my lovely dogs in the garden safe and sound. I was going to paint them green so they kind of blended in with the surroundings and had already painted about 30 or so ready to put up around the part which is directly next to my neighbours property so I could get it done quickly one morning while they were out (trust me they are really the neighbours form hell!) Long story short ... I think I have changed my mind about the colour ......maybe .... I just can't decide! I'm now thinking pale blue or even cream, which has left me with the dilemma of what to do with the ones I have already painted. It's probably not possible to paint over the green wood stain, I'm too scrooge-like to throw them away and it seems a waste to burn them on my fire so on to plan B. The intention is to use some of the painted fence planks and some 2x2 to make a nice big solid compost bin so I don't have to waste all the grass clippings and kitchen compost. Today, as the weather has been lovely, I decided to give it a go. I spent a happy couple of hours hammering away using all the ready painted planks and basically making it up as I went along. The result ....... a roomy compost bin with a lift up front panel so I can just lift it out and tip the wheelbarrow in and I have to say ........ I am very proud of it :-) I did find a good couple of links on how to make a compost bin if you don't want to blunder about making it up as you go along.



No comments:

Post a Comment